Do you realise that going down the DIY route may mean that you are actually breaking the law?
The law in Australia is strict when it comes to electrical work being carried out around your home or commercial space by an unqualified tradesman. To put it simply, if your DIY job is more involved then changing a light globe, you will probably need to a qualified electrician to do it like EDC solutions.
The following information outlines the laws and regulations Australians and in particular Victorians should be aware of before deciding to complete the electrical task yourself.
Most Australian states by law require homeowners to obtain a compliance certificate supplied by a tradie for any electrical work carried out in and around the home. This makes certain that the work completed complies with the Australian Standards.
For the following electrical tasks and procedures, a qualified Melbourne electrician like EDC Solutions would be required;
- installing new power points at any location in and around the home.
- Light switch replacements.
- Light fitting replacements and batten holder replacements.
- Appliance repairs, for example a heater.
- moving power points from point A to point B.
- Removing light fittings to replace it with a ceiling fan.
- Trying to add length to an extension lead.
- Replacing the end plug on any lead.
The only tasks that can be carried out by the DIYer are the following;
- washing machine drive belt replacements.
- air-conditioning unit openings only. This does not include installing the unit.
- fitting the electrical wall oven into the cut out cavity. This does not include installation of the oven.
- rewiring fuses that are deteriorating or old.
- Garden tasks like installing lights or a pool pump.
- Battery powered smoke detector installation through out the home.
You have to remember that it is a risk to complete these tasks by yourself. Is it likely you will get caught and have to pay harsh penalties? Most likely not, but for peace of mind it is much better to get a Melbourne qualified electrician to complete the tasks so you can rest assured all the safety concerns have been accounted for.
Everybody loves saving money here and there, but for DIY electrical tasks it may not be the greatest idea. We suggest you play it safe and employ EDC Solutions as we are licensed electricians.